· 1/4 cup pine nuts , toasted (or substitute almonds
· 3 medium cloves garlic , unpeeled
· 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves or arugula
· 2 Tbs fresh parsley leaves (optional)
· 7 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
· 1/4 C finely grated Parmesan cheese or Pecorino Romano
· ground black pepper
1. Toast the nuts in a small, heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until just golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes; set aside.
2. Add the garlic to the empty skillet and toast over medium heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until fragrant and the color of the cloves deepens slightly, about 7 minutes. Let the garlic cool slightly, then peel, and chop.
3. Place the basil and parsley (if using) in a heavy-duty 1-gallon zipper-lock plastic bag. Pound the bag with the flat side of a meat pounder or rolling pin until all the leaves are bruised.
4. Process the nuts, garlic, herbs, oil, and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt in a
food processor until smooth, stopping as necessary to
scrape down the sides of the bowl, about 1 minute.
5. Stir in the Parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste.